Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Holidays and New Year

 
Happy New Year! Holidays are always such a blurr once they are finished and it is hard to remember how two weeks were filled up so quickly. Apart from the usual Christmas and New Year festivities and gatherings, we spent most of our time at home together as a family which was nice for a change.
I had some time to finish some books I started last Christmas, watch a couple of DVDs (which had been ordered throughout the year but remained unopened) and generally spend some time lounging around which is usually unthought of.

There was of course lots of eating and indulgent breakfasts with my regular coffee sitting next to pieces of fruit cake, contreau laced apricot balls or chocolate croissants; sometimes it was all three! It is lucky that Christmas is only once a year! I also spent some time cleaning out the garage and going through boxes of things that havent been touched since me moved house in March last year. I decided that it was time to take out those old tea cups that belonged to my Grandmother and use them when I have a chance. Life is too short to keep things wrapped up in tissue paper. I also found my reproduction Clarice Cliff plate which I bought while on a tour in England. One of my New Years resolutions is to get these things out so I can look at them and also frame a bunch of prints that are hidden away. I have also been contemplating if the piece of Liberty fabric I bought almost four years ago, is the perfect piece of fabric to re-upholster an old chair that belonged to my great-Nanny. I have been thinking about whether I would prefer a more modern piece of fabric as I am sure this one will never match anything in this house but when I put it on the chair for the first time, I think it is a good match. Something else to put on the list of things to do this year!

The long sunny days have been great for evening swims, evening bike rides (or walks for me as the kids learn to ride their new bikes) and Summer foods with lots of yummy fruit and salads. I dont feel quite ready to tackle the new year yet but I know it is already whizzing past me and it is time to put my skates on. I have much to do in 2013 and i hope to share that with you here.....

No comments: