Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Fun Part


This is the part I love. When all the sketching and rearranging of elements is finished; when all the pencil lines are in place and I all I need to do is ink in the black areas. It is tedious and time consuming and a bit nerve wracking when you only get one chance to create a single, permanent mark with that pen; But this is the part I enjoy the most.


My husband often tells me, "You know your style of drawing could be created in Illustrator and it would be really quick and accurate". "Aah yes," I reply, "but it is not the point". I go on to explain that it is the process that I love. I love that it takes a long time and that it really is not perfect - it is touched with a human hand and we are imperfect. It is the best part about creating when you get to the part where all the design is worked out and then you just have to go ahead and make it. That is my time to myself and takes me completely away from everything else I do in my day.


I guess that is the sort of person I am. There are many ways to get to work and many would choose to take a car or ride a train. For me, if I have a choice I would probably walk or cycle. If I were a bug or insect it would be romantic to picture myself as a butterfly or dragonfly but in reality I would be a snail. When a plane lands and the doors open and everyone rushes to exit, you will most likely find me at the back of the queue.


And so while I realize there are faster and more efficient ways to do things, this is the medium I choose at the moment and I love it!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

what a beautiful post :)I love that you would rather be a snail and at the back of the queue! and I totally get why you would rather do your "filling in" by hand..it's all in the process...and very therapeutic,like a meditation.. Can't wait to see the finished piece, looks amazing so far :)

Claire Ishino said...

Thank you Jenny - yes it is rather like meditation and therapy. I think that is the words I was probably looking for when I wrote this. Hope you are having a creative and happy start to your week :D