Monday, March 23, 2009

Leaving Japan and Coming Home

The last few weeks have been a blur. Packing up the apartment was exhausting and I was certainly glad for once that we only had a tiny apartment to clean out and not a huge house. I thought I would feel more sentimental about leaving Villa Bianca which had been our home for the last 6 years but in the end, when it was empty, it was no longer my home; it was just an empty space. I have taken with me some of the happiest memories of my life from my time spent there and will build a new home with my little family when we find a new empty space to inhabit.

Coming back to Adelaide always brings mixed feelings now. It is incredibly warm and comfortable and familiar but there is also much to miss about Japan. I guess I will always have two home countries now.

Recently one of my favourite Etsy artists, Cathy Nichols, published one of her paintings on her blog that struck a chord with me. It is titled, "Coming Home".